iPad mini 5, New Affordable iPad Set to Launch in First Half of 2019

Apple launched iPad Mini 4 back in September 2015. The Cupertino, California based company has not refreshed its iPad Mini lineup since then. And now word on the street is that Apple is planning to launch iPad Mini 5 along with two new entry level iPad models in the first half of 2019. Digitimes, quoting industry sources said that the order for Apple’s upcoming iPad models will jointly be handled by three firms. While Taiwan-based General Interface Solution (GIS) will manufacture about 40 per cent of the touch panels needed for the new iPad, the remaining 60 per cent of the touch panels will be jointly made by Taiwan-based TPK Holding and China-based O-film Technology.

Citing people familiar with the development, Digitimes reports that Apple is in plans to launch two entry-level iPad models in the first half of this year, including the iPad mini 5 and an entry-level iPad model. It is also said that touch panel manufacturers General Interface Solution (GIS) and TPK Holding are already gearing up for the launch.

Specifications and features of the upcoming iPad models aren’t reported this time. However, a past rumour suggested that the iPad mini 5 could sport a vertically stacked dual camera setup and include a headphone jack.

Last year, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that the iPad mini 5 could arrive at Apple’s Spring event this year. The new model is believed to have an upgraded processor from the previous iPad mini model and an affordable display panel.

To recall, Apple unveiled the iPad mini 4 back in September 2015 with a 7.9-inch 2048×1536 pixels display and the second-generation A8 SoC.

The latest report by Digitimes corroborates what was reported by China Times last month. The China Times report mentioned that there will be a successor to the 9.7-inch iPad (2018) with narrower bezels with the screen size increased to 10-inch. This might be the new affordable iPad model

Updated: March 17, 2019 — 10:26 am

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *